Electronic ISSN 2287-0237

VOLUME

EVALUATION OF LIVER AND KIDNEY TOXICITY IN RATS RECEIVING PROTEOGLYCANS FROM FISH CARTILAGE FOR THE ACCELERATION OF BURN WOUND HEALING

FEBRUARY 2016 - VOL.11 | ORIGINAL ARTICLE
OBJECTIVE:

The aim of this study was to evaluate the toxicity of proteoglycan extracted from fish cartilage for the acceleration of wound healing.

MATERIAL AND METHODS:

Second degree burn wounds were induced by an electrical hot plate measuring 2 cm in diameter and set at a temperature of 90 oC and placed on the back of rats for 10 seconds. Rats were randomly assigned to receive 1 gram of cream base (control group), 1% silver sulfadiazine (SSD), 1% proteoglycans (PG), 2% PG, a combination of 1% SSD + 1% PG, or a combination of 1% SSD + 2% PG applied to burn wounds to accelerate wound healing immediately after burning and once daily until day 27 post-burn. The toxicity of the rats’ liver and kidney functions were evaluated on day 7, 14, 21 and 28.

RESULTS:

An evaluation of  liver function tests showed on day 28 that  the level   of aspartate aminotransferase, alanine transaminase,  and  alkaline  phosphatase  of rats treated with 1% SSD, 1% PG, 2% PG, combination of 1% SSD + 1% PG and combination of 1% SSD + 2% PG were not significantly different when compared to  the control group. An evaluation of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels, on day 28 showed the level of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine of rats treated with 1% SSD, 1% PG, 2% PG, combination of 1% SSD + 1% PG and combination of 1% SSD + 2% PG were not significantly different when compared to the control group.

CONCLUSION:

This study demonstrated that PG extracted from fish cartilage is safe without causing toxic effects to the liver and kidney for long term use.

Keywords:

proteoglycans, toxicity, liver, kidney, fish cartilage, burn wounds

MEDIA
Table 1:
The level of aspartate aminotransferase enzyme on day 7, 14, 21 and 28 post-burn.
Table 2:
The level of alanine transaminase enzyme on day 7, 14, 21 and 28 post-burn.
Table 3:
The level of alkaline phosphatase enzyme on day 7, 14, 21 and 28 post-burn.
Table 4:
The level of blood urea nitrogen on day 7, 14, 21 and 28 post-burn.
Table 5:
The level of creatinine on day 7, 14, 21 and 28 post-burn.
SEARCH VOLUME & NUMBER
GO
RECENT VOLUME & NUMBER